Friday, June 3, 2011

Mental as Anything

For those who may not know, Mental as Anything was the name of an Australian band, big in the 80's for such hits as "The Nips are Gettin' Bigger".  Aaanyway, enough of that music trivia.  This IS a running blog, after all.  It's just that the title of the blog post possibly needs some explanation.  Yes, you've got it readers.  I am getting to the Pointy End of my marathon training.  You know… the part where all of a sudden, running is not quite as much fun as it used to be?  When you lie awake at night, thinking about how you will run the last 10kms?  When you have nightmares about your run buddies having having funky hairdos and buying Garmin watches, while you cry out loud in your dream that a Suunto would be better?  Consequently, you become snarly, cranky, irritable, teary, exhausted and go to bed every night at 7.30pm.  Doesn't it sound FABULOUS??  That's ME folks!!  Tra la la.  My lovely coach Linda called me yesterday after my pathetic training session to reassure me and to remind me that there are only three more long runs - and one of them is the marathon.  Only THREE more. I am counting down, baby.  I am counting.  This weekend, thank goodness, I am only running 10km at the Doomben 10,000 but during my midnight delusions, I am beating last year's time and instead of getting a bronze medal in my age category, I am hauling in the silver. I know it is just a sleep deprived fantasy  however, and to be honest, I don't know if I have the energy to beat my previous PB right now. I am not going to pressure myself.  My beginners are all doing the 10km so I know I will get really positive, happy vibes from them, which will sustain me for my 35km effort next Sunday.  I have already started planning my carb-loading diet for next weekend, using the latest Donna Hay magazine, which is full of scrumptious delights like fish pie and chicken and leek pie…  And could raspberry coconut slice be deemed to be "carbs"?   The Happy News of the Week is that I received this shirt from InTraining.  Isn't it a beaut?  And it's MINE!!!  See…?  It says "coach" on it!  :o) 


Here is another bit of motivation from Runner's World, which I am finding a little bit helpful.  Anything is helpful right now, I will be honest…

Believe that you can run farther or faster.
Believe that you're young enough, old enough, strong enough, and so on 
to accomplish everything you want to do.
Don't let worn out beliefs stop you from moving beyond yourself.
 quote from John Bingham 
              

No comments:

Post a Comment