Monday, June 6, 2011

Making like Black Caviar


So yesterday was the Doomben 10,000.  Nope!  Not a horse race but a human running race, held at Doomben.  Nevertheless, this did not stop me from trying out my best "Black Caviar" impersonation.  Okay, so I have only two legs, rather than four. Okay, so I do not have a glossy chestnut coat or a little guy in silks on my back but I damn near FELT like Black Caviar as I came through the finish chute and out on to Doomben Racecourse for my final 200 metres!  I ended up finishing in 52:34, which is my second ever best time and I actually think, in retrospect, I could have possibly pushed myself harder.  Oh well... next time. I need to remember I have not been training for speed this year, but for endurance.  However, next year is my big year to crack that elusive 50 mins, dadgum!

My fabulous "Run 10" legends were there too, some doing their very first ten kilometre event & some doing their second.  They all had a great time (I'm pretty sure!) and were very pleased with their medals and the booty in their race packs, which included such strange treasures as stubby holders and Cherry Ripe bars. The bummer of the whole deal really was that today, when I clicked on the link for "2011 Results", the page opened up last year's results so I found myself leaping about and squealing in delight - for all the wrong reasons.  The third place I thought I'd repeated was actually LAST year's result, due to a "technical hiccup".  Booooo!!  Talk about a Major Downer. I am still traumatised, eight hours later.  What an evil trick!

This is the post-run, wild-hair, coffee-guzzling shot, taken with Michelle, both of us sporting our trophies of Sporting Prowess.  Shame I had no idea really how FERAL my hair was looking.  It was just before I spotted the famous Roxie Fraser (nee Schmidt), multi-winning, champion, super incredible runner and fellow InTraining member.  Luckily she is so friendly and approachable and she didn't seem to mind this gigantic, sweaty woman asking for a photo, in the hope of picking up some Roxie Magic by osmosis.  We're quite similar in physique, don't you agree? 

No comments:

Post a Comment